Multi-talented food entertainer, entrepreneur and blogger, Claire Allen – also known as the ‘Skinny Chef’ of the ‘Short Chef Skinny Chef’ live show joined us in the Gourmet Cooking Theatre at Decorex Cape Town this year. Her events’ co-ordination company, Signature Productions, has kept things steaming for the past decade, managing and executing high-end functions as well as launching two internationally-renowned whisky brands in South Africa; Black Bottle and Bains Cape Mountain Whisky. Claire is instantly recognisable from her celebrity chef features on daily programmes, Expresso and Afternoon Express, and has contributed an endless number of delectable recipes to several publications and broadcast media. Her blog, Food Is Love, which launched after she appeared on the third season of MasterChef South Africa, has seen her travel the globe seeking enhanced tastes and innovative recipes.
This classic Middle Eastern breakfast dish is spicy, hearty and very inexpensive.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium brown or white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups ripe diced tomatoes, or 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder (mild)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (or more to taste– spicy!)
- Pinch of sugar (optional, to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a pan, fry onion and peppers until soft, then add garlic and spices and fry until aromatic.
- Pour in the tomatoes, crush any big pieces, bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or so.
- Taste and add additional spices to taste and sugar if needed. Add eggs, season and cover on a low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve with parsley or coriander with fresh bread/toast and enjoy!To get in touch with Claire Allen, visit her website http://claireallen.co.za