One of them is a master comic who tries to cook, and the other a renowned celebrity chef, who’s been known to crack the odd joke. Chris Forrest has been on the SA comedy scene since the late nineties, and Pete Goffe-Wood, best known as a judge on Masterchef South Africa, has been making great food for nearly 30 years.
This comedic culinary pair have combined their love of great coffee and delicious food with a dash of great humour in a tantalising foodie demonstration. Visitors to Decorex Cape Town were spellbound as the Jacobs Coffee Magicians demonstrated the versatility of the superb Jacobs coffee, which can transform any dish – sweet or savoury – into a magical feast! Their easy-going techniques can be imitated by even the most novice cooks, while their non-stop banter kept the audience in stitches!
Coffee Chilli Con Carne Recipe
…may the sauce be with you
- 100g streaky bacon, diced
- onion, neatly diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1tblsp ground cumin
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp smoked paprika
- ½tsp cayenne pepper
- 2tblsp tomato puree
- 1kg beef mince
- 1L beef stock (2 stocks cubes + 1L water)
- 2tblsp instant coffee
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 10g fresh coriander
- Heat a little oil in a large cast iron pan, add the diced streaky bacon and fry until it begins to crisp and colour.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and fry until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Next add all of the dry spices and fry for a further 30 seconds before adding the tomato paste, be careful not to burn the tomato paste.
- Add the mince to the pan and stir to make sure the paste and spices are evenly distributed.
- Dissolve the instant coffee into the beef stock and add to the mince.
- Bring the pan to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook slowly for 45 min.
- Add the kidney beans and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and garnish with the fresh coriander.
Click here to buy your tickets.
Click here for more info on Decorex Joburg.
Gallagher Convention Centre