KwaZulu-Natal chef renowned for his exceptional cuisine is Deena Naidoo, South Africa’s first MasterChef SA and patron chef of Aarya restaurants at both MonteCasino and Silverstar Casino in Gauteng.
Working into this year’s Decorex theme, Designing for Africa – feels like home, Naidoo cooked up a storm in the Gourmet Cooking Theatre at Decorex Durban 2019 last month. His cooking reflected South Africa’s multi-cultural heritage with an aim to delight palates of all cultures.
Give your Friday night fish and chips a Mediterranean twist with Grilled Kingklip on Roasted Red Pepper and Couscous Salad by Chef Deena Naidoo.
This speedy fish supper is the perfect low-calorie, low-hassle weeknight meal. A healthy low-fat, low-calorie fish dish that’s bursting with flavour as well as being rich in fibre, folate, iron and vitamin C.
- 500g Kingklip dusted in seasoned flour
- 250ml Couscous
- 300ml Hot Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 125ml toasted pine nuts
- 100ml dried dates finely chopped
- 2 Red Peppers finely sliced (Char grilled deseeded and skinned)
- 125ml Basil leaves
- 125ml Baby Marrow
- 125ml Green string bean blanched
- 40ml Olive Oil
*Char grill whole peppers on open flame until blackened. Immediately place in plastic bag. Seal bag completely and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Remove Red Peppers and scrape off blackened skin and seeds)
- Pour stock over Cover couscous with stock in a bowl allow the stock to cover couscous by at least 10mm. Stir well, cover with cling wrap and allow to stand for about 6-8 minutes so that all the stock is absorbed. Use a fork to fluff up couscous and stir in Olive oil until well absorbed. Allow to cool.
- Add toasted pine nuts, red pepper, basil leaves, dates and baby marrow. Season with Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and mix well.
- Grill fish and place over cous cous salad.
- Serve immediately.
For more recipes and tips don’t miss the Gourmet Cooking Theatre at Decorex Cape Town and Decorex Joburg.