Celebrity photographer and chef, Donald Chipumha is usually the face behind the camera capturing the famous faces of celebrities around South Africa, but when My Kitchen Rules South Africa was renewed for a second season, he decided it was time to step in front of the camera.
Fans of the popular cooking show, My Kitchen Rules SA, were in for a treat at Decorex Joburg this year as Season 2 contestant, Donald Chipumha, put his culinary skills on display in the Gourmet Cooking Theatre.
“I’m a home-cook and I like to be practical and conscious about what I cook. I prefer simple, robust flavours without overcomplicating things,” said Donald.
Donald shares his mom’s favourite chicken recipe with us – perfect for a Sunday lunch with family and friends.
Baby Potatoes, Slow cooked Chicken in Tomato, White Wine, Garlic and Herb Sauce
- 1kg skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200g baby onions
- 500g baby potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 200g rainbow tomatoes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 1/3 cup capers
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 50ml white wine
- 5 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup white rice for serving
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper and saute until golden.
- Add baby potatoes, baby onions, garlic and tomatoes in a deep pan and saute with butter.
- Add broth, then season with oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and let it simmer for 35 mins.
- Add lemon juice and white wine.
- Add chicken and simmer for another 45 mins on a low heat.
- Serve warm with white rice.
For more food ideas and inspiration follow Donald online.
21 – 24 March 2019
Durban Exhibition Centre
Decorex Cape Town
1 – 5 May 2019
7 – 11 August 2019
Gallagher Convention Centre